Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowed in and Chandeleur.

We've been getting a ton of snow lately and now here we are stuck at home doing what we do best on a day like that, which is being lazy...The kids knew it was suppose to be snow day today and of course they decided it was OK to wake up and extra hour early (to enjoy the day, dixit my son)!!! And so I came downstairs and brewed an extra strong pot of coffee.







Yep a looooong day!!!!!







Also today, in France is Chandeleur "crepe day" , celebrated on February 2 (although I make crepes all year long). I remember my mom making a pile of crepes that was at least a mile high, she had to with 5 children, each eating at least 10 crepes each (I am not liying)!!! we use to have them as an after school snack or even in place of diner. Crepe batter is really simple to make, you will find a lot of different recipes and techniques on on how to make the best batter out there, but I think it's best to just keep it simple. You will also need a pan, I have a special crepe pan, but any pan will do as long as the sides are not too high and about 10" in diameter.

Here's my recipe :

2 cups of flour
2 tbsp of sugar
a pinch of salt
3 eggs
2 cups of milk
2 tbsp of melted butter

In a bowl mix the dry ingredients, make a well in the center and add your eggs and vanilla, slowly add the milk while whisking all the ingredients together, until you get a batter the consistency of heavy cream, you can add more milk if it's too heavy, then add the butter.

Heat the pan and brush it with a little bit of melted butter (I use a paper towel to do that). Pour 1/3 cup of batter in the pan and quickly swirl it around so it'll coat the bottom of the pan, when the egdes start to brown flip the crepe and cook for another minute. Put the crepe in a plate cover with aluminum foil while making the rest of the crepes.  Enjoy them filled with Nutella (my kids favorite) jam, or sugar and lemon juice. Bon Appetit.

3 comments:

Chouquette said...

Miam! :)

Natascha said...

CREPES!!!

It's official...you are trying to kill me through the computer by making me look at the beautiful picture of the crepe.

Karine said...

Re Miam!!!