Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mommyyyyy, what's for lunch????

I heard that question at least 10 times today, and the week just started, it seems like all they think about when on vacation is food, food, food!!! So after seeing a lonely loaf of bread on the counter, I decided to make  croque-monsieur  . I haven't done that in ages. But those croque monsieur were made with a twist, I made them with smashed potatoes to make it more of a "complete" meal. I remember reading the recipe on a Martha Stewart magazine I don't remember where and decided to try it just from memory even if not exactly the same. Well it was yummy, the boys almost had a fight over the last one!!!!

First you'll need a crusty loaf of bread sliced in thick slices (the recipe is for 4 slices)


Cook 5 small potatoes until tender and smash them.


Then make a bechamel sauce by melting 2 tbsp of butter in a heavy saucepan.


Add 2 tbsp of flour and whisk until mixture bubbles slightly about 2 minutes

Whisk in 1 cup of warm milk, bring to a boil to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.


Make the croque monsieur. Preheat oven at 425F. Toss potatoes with olive oil. Spread bechamel evenly on 4 slices of bread and top with 1 slice of ham



Put some potatoes and 2 slices of cheese. I used extra sharp cheddar, I didn't have any gruyere in my fridge, but taste just as good!!


Bake on a baking sheet until cheese is golden and bubbling. 12 to 14 minutes, check from time to time.


Plate your croque monsieur with a fresh green salad and voila...delicieux!!


Bon appetit.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

I love the idea of the mashed potatoes on top. I will have to try it sometime!

Unknown said...

miam!! comme Emmy, je ne connaissais pas avec la pomme de terre ça a l'air tres bon!!!

Karine said...

Same comment! :)