Anyways...Since winter and it's bad weather are still around, might as well enjoy a nice and hearty plate of steamy stew, and this one became my family's favorite and I hope it will become yours too.
Provencal Beef Stew :
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 x 400 g tins of canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs new potatoes, (unpeeled), larger ones halved
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp pitted and chopped black olive
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme and rosemary
Preheat the oven to 350F
Pour the olive oil into a large casserole dish or ovenproof saucepan with a lid on a medium–high heat and, when hot, add the onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Fry for 6–8 minutes or until the onions are soft and lightly golden.
Tip in the beef and stir in the dish or pan for 2–3 minutes to brown the meat, add the wine and boil until reduced, then in go the tomatoes, sugar and herbs. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
After 1 hour remove from the oven, season with a little more salt, then stir in the potatoes, cover and return to the oven for another hour or until the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked through. Stir in the capers, olives taste for seasoning and serve.