Monday, February 14, 2011

Menu plan monday and Valentine day


Photobucket


For this week's menu I've been inspired by the talented Pioneer Woman and some of her fabulous recipes!! If you don't know her yet, I suggest you go and take a long look at her blog, I just LOVE it, I can spend hours just reading and looking at all her beautiful pictures.

Monday : Valentine dinner Chicken tajine with lemon and green olives with couscous (I'll post the recipe this week), red velvet cake and chocolate fondu.

Tuesday : pasta with turkey sausage in tomato sauce.

Wednesday : Red lentil and carrot soup plus leftovers

Thursday : Minestrone from the Pioneer Woman Cooks

Friday : Beef and snow peas stir fry from the Pioneer Woman  the whole family is just in love with that dish and will eat it every week!!!

Saturday : Grilled herbed salmon with grilled zucchinis and potato gratin (I know odd combination)

And today is not only monday but it's also Valentine's day, so for all the people in love or falling in love



As I said on the menu we will have red velvet cake for dessert,  and it was my first time making that cake. I've always been a little bit scared by it I don't know why, but I decided to put all my fears aside and jump right into it. Well it was EASY, just follow the recipe and voilaaaa!!

And don't get me started on the frosting, mmmmmm....by the time I finished frosting the cake I probably eat a 1/3 of it!!! 

I found the recipe on foodtv, I just look for an easy recipe that will make a 2 layers cake, and this one seemed perfect.

Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. Cut out a 9-inch round piece of parchment paper, and place on the bottom of each cake pan and grease and flour, of course I discovered then that I didn't have any parchment paper left so I just prayed the cake will not stick at the bottom of the pan.



Cream butter, sugar and eggs in a mixer,
I creamed the sugar and butter first
Then I added the eggs

Combine cocoa and food coloring, and add to the creamed mixture
my food coloring came in a gel (see the blob)



Mix the salt and vanilla with the buttermilk in a 2 cup liquid measuring cup, and add to the batter alternating with the flour


Mix the vinegar and baking soda in a small bowl (this will fizz)


Carefully and gently fold this into the batter by hand. Divide batter between the cake pans.


and bake for 30 minutes or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched


Remove from oven, and cool on racks for 15 minutes. Invert onto racks, remove parchment paper and cool to room temperature. Once cooled they are ready for frosting.




Bon Appetit.

Red Velvet Cake recipe :

1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons cocoa
2 ounces red food coloring
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cream cheese filling and frosting recipe :

 16 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2 pounds 10x powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat cream cheese and butter together in a heavy duty mixer until smooth and creamy. Slowly add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time, blending between each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Beat for about 5 minutes until very smooth. Spread between layers of cake and on top and sides. Enjoy!! Yield: Sufficient icing for a 2 layer cake

1 comment: