Monday, October 10, 2011

Chicken casserole

It's that season of the year again, when we all get our big pots and crock pots and have our oven ready for stew season !! Gazing at the window and as the weather is getting colder we all think of one thing, well I think of one thing, a warm, savory and rib sticking (and thighs sticking also!!) stew simmering in a pot. And the easier the recipe the better !!! This one just ask for a little bit of work but worth the dish, and the saffron in it make makes it extra special.

Today no tutorial of the recipe, my camera had the most unusual accident a few days ago, it fell in my banana bread batter...don't ask. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and I was this close to washing it but then I stopped myself and just patiently cleaned it with paper towel!!!




Ingredients :

2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 ripe tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
6 of each brumsticks and boneless chicken thighs
1 lb of small potatoes
4 sticks of celery, chopped
2 large white onions, chopped
3 bay leaves
250 ml (9fl oz) white wine
Good pinch of saffron
75 gr (2 3/4 oz) black olives halved
500 ml (18fl oz) chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 350F.

 1) Dry-fry the seeds in a pan for 1-2 min until fragrant, then grind them (personally I just used the already ground spices) .

2) Boil the tomatoes for 2 min. Drain and cool before skinning. Cut in half, remove seeds and chop (again here I went the easy way and used chopped can tomatoes).

3) Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in casserole dish and brown the chicken in batches then transfer in a plate.

4) Heat the rest of the oil, add the potatoes, celery, onions, bay leaves and ground spices and cook until de veggies are browned.

5) Add the chicken, chopped tomatoes, wine, saffron and olives, and boil rapidly for 2 min. Pour the stock and season.

6) Cover the dish, and put in the oven for 1 hr 45 min to 2 hr, until sauce has thickened.

No comments: