Sunday, April 17, 2011

A recipe and monday menu plan...early!!!

I wanted to sare this recipe for a while now, but always forget. Then this morning I came across the pictures I took while making the dish, so this time I made sure to share it with you all. It's a tajine with chicken, olives and lemon.

Basically, a tajine is a sort of stew. It incorporates ingredients which take well to long, slow braising at low temperatures, such as lamb. Depending on the origin of the tajine, the spicing of the dish varies widely, and is possible to find tajines with vegetables, beans, and various grains in addition to meat stews. After several hours of cooking, the ingredients in the tajine are extremely tender and very intensely flavored, and you can ladle the tajine over rice or scoop it out of the dish with hunks of bread.

But don't worry, since this recipe calls for chicken it will not take more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours to cook.

I also have my tajine spices send from France, but I will give you the recipe for you to make your own...

First you will need to clean a whole cut up chicken. In a dutch oven heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.


Salt and brown the chicken pieces (in batches) on both sides (2 minutes per side should do the trick)...but as you can see I didn't have pictures of that, don't know why!!! When the chicken is brown add the chopped onions, garlic and cook stirring occasionally, until very soft and turning golden brown. This could take 10 to 15 minutes.


Add the spices to the onions...and cook together for a couple of minutes, stirring.


Add a whole bunch of chopped fresh coriander, and 1 sliced lemon


When the ingredients all got a chance to mingle together, cover with chicken broth and cook for 30 minutes


When the chicken is almost done remove all the lemon slices and in goes a cup of pitted green olives


Simmer for another 10 minutes, and it's ready.

I usually serve it with couscous, but rice is just as good.


Bon Appetit...


Chicken Tajine recipe :

1 chicken cut up
2 big onions chopped
4 gloves of chopped garlic
1 whole bunch of fresh coriander
1 lemon
3 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of pitted green olives
salt

Spice mix :

This is the closest recipe I could find of the spice I have

1 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper powder
3/4 teaspoons cinnamon

Photobucket

Now it's been a while since I posted my menu plan, for technical reasons it was difficult for me to do it, but now it looks like my computer obeys all my orders, so let's roll!!!!

Monday : The pioneer Woman's beef and snow peas stir fry

Tuesday : Couscous with steamed vegetables (I'll make sure to take pictures!!)

Wednesday :  Croque-monsieur, tomatoes and green beans

Thursday : Chicken kebabs, corn and grilled zucchinis

Friday :  Fish en papillote and roasted potatoes

Saturday : Turkey and artichokes stuffed shells (a Giada's recipe)

Sunday : Crock pot of some sort, still have to think about that one..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

une vraie recette de Tajine, je t'embrasse ! you make my day, merci, beaucoup !