Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Menu plan monday and a recipe.

Photobucket


Boy am I late on this one or what!!! Sorry about that, but my computer is going crazy being attacked by viruses!!! So it took me a while to finish my post.


After a georgous week-end, filled with sunshine, kids rinding their bikes, snow-free ground I tought I was done with making soups, hearty stews and my crock pot, and was already dreaming of BBQ's, dinners on the patio, and also get my new short sleeves tops out, my dresses...alas, I woke up this morning to more snow and was ready to go back to bed until I know for sure spring was here!!!!
Monday : Corned beef with oll the fixings (OK I;m know I'm late for a St Patrick's day meal, but I try it for the first time last thursday and LOVED IT, so I had to make it)

Tuesday : Lentils and pasta soup

Wednesday : Tuscan halibut with rosemary and tomatoes

Thursday : Homemade pizza

Friday : Roasted chicken with zucchini gratin
Saturday : Leftovers

Sunday : Eating out (I need a rest!!!)

Now I have to tell you that sometimes the plan doesn't go as...well...planned, and I change the menu around dependin on how the day is going or gonna go. So it helps to have everything you need for the week in your pantry and fridge.

Now for the recipe, like I said this week end was an amazing, refreshing week end, so I wanted to treat the family to a nice dessert. I wanted to make something easy, light and fresh. I had a big bag of apples staring at me in the fridge, so I tought an apple pie would be nice.

While making the dough I was having a conversation with my hubby on how nice it would be to move to the south of France, in a nice old rustic renovated farm, filled with rustic charm and big bright rooms, and a huge garden filled with flowers and fruit trees, aaahhhh what a nice dream it was!!!

Anyway back to the pie, in all that talking the word rustic stuck out, so I decided to make a rustic apple galette. No need of a pan for it, it's a free form pie, and so easy to make even a baby can do it.


First slice the apples into 16 slices each (more or less), and toss them with some lemon juice so they will not get brown


Roll out the pie dough onto your floured surface into a large circle, I would say around 12 inches...


It doesn't need to be perfectly round

Pour in the apples leaving at least 3 inches all around


Sprinkle the apples with 2 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of cold butter


Now fold the dough on top of the apples, and brush it with some egg wash


Bake at 385F for 45 minutes, until the edges are golden brown


Warm up some apricot jam and brush it on top to make it nice and shiny, and your galette is ready to be enjoyed!!

Rustic apple pie

1/2 recipe of pate brisee
6 to 7 apples cored and sliced
2 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of cold butter

For the pate brisee:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.


With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disc and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.

2 comments:

Karine said...

Sounds good! :)

haki said...

wawww!!!!!
elha mlih merci!!!!